Sunday, January 23, 2011

Mom of a Developmentaly Delayed Son learns.............how to let go.

Sometimes something as simple as a kid's DVD can be enough to spark personal and spiritual growth in a parent. I've begun to wonder if some of them were written for adults! Well, anyone famliar with Veggietales knows what I mean. The kids can watch a Veggietale about love and caring and go right ahead and take a toy or push their sibling without a second thought. Yet, for me I could be very convicted to change my ways. I realize how simple these things really are to apply to my life. Take the story of the Angry Eyebrows. The evil villan creates flying angry eyebrows to attach themselves to everyone in the town. Whenever someone begins to lose their temper, the eyebrow attaches permanently and that person never stops being angry. But, the only way to get the eyebrows off is to let go of one's anger. It's as simple as letting go of the offense and just giving up the anger. Having Joshua for my son means I have to do this frequently over alot of things that might mean alot to me. With a new baby in the house over the past week, Joshua has been in overdrive in his attempts to get mom's attention. One day I walked up the steps where Josh had been just seconds previously and found a photo from my wedding torn to shreds. We had to install a key lock on the bathroom door because he threw toys in the toilet 3 times. Twice this required the toilet to be taken apart and reseated. I found a way to get the pens and markers out of his hands. So, he writes on the walls with certain toys that he knows will leave marks. His new extreme sport is attempting to surf down the steps head first on his back! I'm there to stop him everytime. He now has an obsession with the clothes washer. He opens it up while it's running and throws toys and clean clothes in! He'll come to join us as we sleep in the middle of the night with a pull up full of poo! He chews mail, erasers and leaves bite marks on every nice toy. He leaves bite marks on the library DVD cases. There are bite marks on everything! Oh and he loves to stop the dishwasher in the middle of a cycle. I could have angry eyebrows 24/7. Everytime I turn around there is a new pile of shredded paper and chewed up wads. He destroyed a framed wedding photo, and he loves to push his little brother around. There's so much more, but I've learned to let it go. I put Veggietales into practice everyday!

No comments:

Post a Comment